Friday, September 5, 2014

My Journey with God

This is my response to the challenge issued by my sister in law Brandi Cade (see blog post: http://brandislifesong.blogspot.com/2014/09/psalm-2222-i-will-declare-thy-name-unto.html )

The challenge is to share my journey with God.

Hmmmm... God and I go way back, so this will take a hot minute!

I can't remember a moment in my life that I didn't believe.  I remember attending The Lutheran Church of the Redeemer in Savannah, GA.  I remember my Sunday School classroom, and singing in their spring play.

Let's start from the beginning, shall we?

I was baptized on October 21st, 1984.  I was 2 months old, and my parents did two things that day.   They promised to bring me to church on Sunday's, and to teach the love of God to me at home. They also handed me back to Jesus.  God had given me to them, and they had my forehead marked with the cross of the Lord, and on that day I became a child of God forever.  My life began.

Pastor Paul Baumgartner baptized me in the name of God.  My Godparents Gerry and Nan were there to promise to help my parents and to pray for me and my parents.

Another influence on my childhood was Pastor Earl Stephens, of Peace Lutheran Church in Tifton, GA.  My grandparents were founding members of the church and when we visited, we always made sure to attend service.  This was a valuable lesson.  No matter where I am, I want to be in church on Sunday.

My parents prayed with me every night at dinner.  Every night, my mom and dad prayed with me. They took me to church every Sunday and instilled in me the importance of time spent in worship. They gave me roots, roots that grow deep with a church.  They taught me to love others, to accept others in their own walks of Faith. They told me about Jesus.

Pastor Gary Safrit taught me my confirmation classes.  He taught me about what others believe.  He shared with me HIS story.  He walked with me in prayer, and prayed for me often. (He probably still does, he and the good Lord know I always need prayer!  You should ask him.)  And it was Pastor Safrit that asked me in front of the church if I believed, and I answered "I do, and I ask God to help me."  It was May 1999 that the church prayed for me, and Pastor Safrit traced the same cross that had been traced on my forehead by Pastor Baumgartner in 1984... I reaffirmed my baptism and became a confirmed believer!!

I may have been a believer, but that was just the "spark". "It only takes a spark to get a fire going."
I served the following year as President of the Lutheran Church Youth.  Then I was one of the few in history to serve a second year as President. I wrote my own devotions and went on some amazing youth retreats and worshiped God next to people I will never forget. I put my hands in the air and I sang his praise, sometimes moved so deeply to tears, and sometimes filled with so much joy my cheeks hurt from the grinning.

Y2K National Gathering in St. Louis, Missouri.  I danced and sang ON STAGE in front of over 50,000 Lutheran youth from around the country (and a few groups from around the world!).  I was part of the opening ceremony.
I saw God at that Gathering.  I saw him in people, in hearts, in minds, in music.  I felt him more than I ever had before. Many thanks to youth leader Marty Daigle - who organized the events that changed my life forever.  It is thanks to you that lived these moments that are such great treasures on my journey with God.

After high school, I had a really rough couple of years.  The devil took me places I never should have allowed him to take me.  But I was still God's child, and though I was lost- it wasn't long before I was found.

God found me.
This moment was not actually a good one.  Sometimes the wolves are already biting you before you reach out for the shepherd to pull you back into his arms.  My best friend was murdered.  When her aunt called me to tell me it was her... I remember falling to the floor.  I crumbled.  I was like a wounded, little lost sheep and I thought the crying would never ever stop.

God found me.  He scooped me up, dusted me off, even when I tried to pull away again- God took care of me. Just 6 months later- I started dating the love of my life, who would later become my husband.

Eric and I may have done things a little backwards, but God knows backwards and loves me the same.  God forgave me when I didn't deserve forgiveness.

Pastor Jerry Smith married Eric and I on September 18, 2004... that's right! Just 2 weeks from today, we will celebrate 10 years of marriage.
Eric and I pray with our children every night, just as mine did with me.
Pastor Jerry baptized both of my children, and we are doing our best to give them the same strong roots in church that we had.

My daughter loves to serve as acolyte.  She says she feels so special helping Pastor with worship, lighting the candles and helping with communion and offering.  My heart fills with joy seeing her love church as much as I did.  She's a great role model to her little sister.  There's that spark again! "And soon all those around can warm up in it's glowing."

I know my children will stray some day, I can only hope and pray for them, and do my best to teach them to follow God, and stay on the right path.  And when she does stray, teach them forgiveness by forgiving them and loving them the same.

"We love because Christ first loved us."

Pastor Mark Cerniglia and Pastor Sean Miller influenced me while one of my best friends Tabitha Hardison went through her sons cancer treatments and ultimate loss of her son.  Riley had stayed with me on many nights, and I loved him like he was my own.  One night, after cleaning him up because he had gotten sick, he looked at me and said "Aunt Stephy, I'll be ok".  You are right baby boy, you are ok!  You are with Jesus!  But oh how my heart breaks for I miss you so much!!

Last, but certainly not least... a little testimony, if you will.
"My God is so great, my God is so mighty, there's NOTHING my God cannot do!"

God has a little bit of a sense of humor.   I can testify to this.
I was pregnant with my second child when Eric and I realized the bills were more than the income and we needed to downsize.  By downsize, that meant move in with my parents for a little while.  During the move, there was a day which we had ran out of food completely at our house and had not yet moved in with my parents.  We also had not reached pay day yet and we were totally broke.  Mind you, I'm 6 months pregnant. I prayed at work, around 10:30am.   I prayed this exact prayer: "Father in Heaven, I ask for strength today.  If you will please help me make it to dinner, where my parents are feeding us. I ask this in your name, Amen."
Here's the humor.  After saying that prayer, I was called to the front of the office.  There stood one of my best friends Mariana Parra.  This conversation happened:

Me: Heyyy girl! What are you doing here?!
Anna: Honestly? I don't even know.  I got stuck in the wrong lane and nobody would let me in, so I had to turn on this road.  I saw your office up ahead and remembered I never bought you a birthday lunch...so, since I'm here, do you want to go?
Me: **burst into tears**

That happened?! I prayed and just 30 minutes later God had answered.  I had ZERO loaves of bread to make a sandwich and GOD FILLED MY PLATE (quite literally).   As I explained to Anna why I was crying, she cried with me.  She was just as shaken by God leading her to me.  She fed me, and I have never felt so full in all my life!  We also laughed.  How AWESOME it is to be loved by God (and by best friends).

God loves me. He really loves me.
WHAT'S THE BEST PART?! He loves you too. He LOVES you.  He sees you, He knows you, and He loves you.  Isn't God AWESOME?!

Apostle's Creed
I believe in God the Father Almighty, Creator of Heaven and Earth.
I believe in Jesus Christ, His only son on earth, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary.  He suffered under Pontias Pilot, was crucified, died, and was buried.  He descended to the dead. On the third day, He rose again and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again to judge the living and the dead. 
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic church, the communion of the saints, the forgiveness of sins, the Resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting. Amen





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting such a heartfelt testimony in response to Brandi's challenge! I am her pastor and she shared the link to your blog on her FB page. I am so glad I happened to see the post and took the time to follow this link. I was blessed by reading your story. I know that God will continue to work in you and through you as you continue to share the story of God's power and love and the ways you that power and love is made real in your life.