Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Eyes of My Heart

My husband Eric and my daughter Jenna took me out to lunch today. We ate at a restaurant called Caesar's that had a new lunch buffet I wanted to try.

It is a small restaurant with open seating, but manages to stay quiet and peaceful for the most part.

That is, until today... Jenna was so happy today and full of energy. It was all she could do to sit still long enough to finish her food. The entire time, she just wanted to sing.
She would stretch her arms out and sing her song. And, in a restaurant like Caesars,.. well, I had to be courteous and quiet Jenna and explain to her that the restaurant was not the time and place for singing. But I couldn't bring myself to actually stop her. I quieted her down... but I didn't stop her. It was the song she was singing that completely overruled any other thoughts in my head.

With arms stretched out, she would sing "Open the eyes of my heart, Lord, I want to see you. I want to see you" (which is by far, one of my all time favorite songs that I would sing at church retreats and events). She was so happy singing her song over and over... and to top it off, she looked at me with this smile as big as the sky and said "Mommy, we had chapel in school today and I learned my new song and I really like my new song a lot!"...and continued on singing "Open the eyes of my heart, Lord, I want to see you"


Not a soul frowned on us in Caesars for our little singer... in fact, Jenna brought a smile to the face of any person who paused a moment to listen. The waiter just loved it, and nobody once complained about her outbursts of song. I believe when Jenna sang "Open the eyes of my heart"... the Lord opened the eyes of our hearts to the true wonder of a childlike faith. A little girl, who loves her Lord in Heaven with all of her heart - and isn't ashamed to sing his praise in the middle of a nice restaurant.

Mark 10:13-16 And they were bringing children to him that He might touch them, and the disciples rebuked them. But when Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the Kingdom of God belongs to such as these."

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Awwwwww what a sweetheart!!!! You guys are obviously doing a wonderful job with her!