Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Ups and Downs of 2008

I must post this- as it really means something to me and I don't do this often. When I'm really emotional- I write poems and I know that sounds cheesy...but it gets things off of my mind, out of my heart...onto a piece of paper that I later read back and can really let it go for good. That is the best lesson in life to learn- everyone has a unique way of letting go, and once you learn your way ... life's harder lessons are 100 times easier.

Well.. as I said in the previous post, 2008 was very emotional for both Eric and myself. And on our way down to visit Eric's family in Columbia... I found myself lost in my notebook and the following poem is what I later read back to myself:

The Ups and Downs of 2008
by: Stephanie Pilkenton

The blessing of the year two thousand eight
Was it started with an "up"
We decided to get pregnant
As we drank a toast from our cups.
But shortly came our first "down"
Cancer took our family pet away
But an "up" came just as fast
When our Godson was born on a Sunday.
And so it continued...
The "ups" and "downs" of two thousand eight
These "downs" would be terrible
But the "ups" would prove to be great.
And so here I write
This first day of two thousand nine
And I am writing down these "ups" and "downs"
To get them off of my mind.
"Up" when our new puppy was born
"Down" in March our unborn baby that we lost
"Up" as our daughter celebrated her third birthday
"Down" again when her best friend, the Leukemia cost
"Up" as we soon learned we were pregnant again
"Down" as our daughter struggled the loss of her friend
"Up" when our niece Tori was born
"Down" again when finances cost us our home
"Up" as our loved ones took us in off the street
"Down" when our marriage was falling apart, our faith growing weak
"Up", more like uplifting, when we reconnected and fell deeply back in love
"Down" as a friend of ours sick neice, 3 days old, left us for the Heaven's above.
"Up" , more uplifting than before,
We heard the precious cry of our new baby girl, Lexie Noelle was born.
And even more "Ups" - we are healthy, and home on Christmas Eve
So many answered prayers, how could anyone not believe?
And I thought back to each "up" and "down"
As I watched the drop of the ball...
And for each remaining second,
A single tear seemed to fall.
And with the strike of one,
Two thousand eight was no more
That beautiful, blissful, yet so painful a year
I felt all those moments, ache right down to my heart's core.
And so I thought, perhaps a resolution for two thousand nine
No - this time something better if I can
To cherish every moment -- both "ups" and "downs"
And know that I'm blessed, and a part of God's plan.
So, during those last seconds of two thousand eight
I found myself reliving each emotional time,
The fond memories of two thousand eight...
As I embrace the start of two thousand nine.

No comments: